In the vast majority of home LANs, only a wireless router is used from active equipment. However, in case you need more than one 2.5Gbe wired connections, you will need to add a network switch (although today most routers comes with four to eight 1Gbe ports for devices). The second reason for purchasing this equipment is for faster network wiring. For example, ASUS ROG RT-AX1100 router only have one 2.5Gbe and 4 ports of 1Gbe and I have multiple devices can support up to 2.5Gbe speed.
The simplest models of network switches have just a couple of key characteristics – the number of ports and their speed. And taking into account modern requirements and the development of the element base, we can say that if the goal of saving at any cost or some specific requirements is not worth buying, it is worth buying models with gigabit ports. Gigabit networks with a speed of 1000 Mbit / s are of course used today, but it is unlikely that their users will face the problem of lack of ports on the router. Moreover, it will be appropriate here to use a 2.5 gigabit switch to increase the performance of the entire wired LAN.
In this article, we will get acquainted with the ASUSTOR ASW205T switch. This device has five 2.5Gbps ports capable of providing 25Gbps connections. The ASUSTOR ASW205T also support backward compatible support 1Gbps and 100Mbps speed.
Delivery set and appearance
The switch is shipped in a brown cardboard box, which is customary for the corporate segment, with a simple design. The package is traditional – a switch, a power cable, mounting screw and a set of brief documentation.
Connection and configuration
No configuration required
It is clear that no one will come up with a unique design for such equipment as a network switch. The model has a body made of thick metal, painted with black matte paint. On the upper side, the glossy logo of the manufacturer stands out slightly.
The rear panel contains the power cable inlet and ventilation for the heat outlet.
There is an air intake grill on the left side of the case, and this is a fanless design.
The front panel received a neat insert with a pattern characteristic of the company’s design. On the right side there is a power status indicators and all the main space in the center is occupied by five 2.5 gigabit ports for copper cable.
The bottom of the case allow you to wall mount.
Specifications and capabilities
- Management Type: Unmanaged
- Chipset : RTL8731+RTL8221B
- Number of Ports:５
- Speed: 2.5Gbps /1Gbps / 100M
- Jumbo Frames: 12K
- Supported Standards
- IEEE 802.3 Ethernet
- IEEE 802.3u (100BASE-T)
- IEEE 802.3ab,(1000BASE-T)
- IEEE 802.3bz (2.5GBase-T)
- IEEE 802.3x (Full-Duplex Flow Control)
- Switching Capacity: 25Gbps
- MAC Address Table: 16K
- Total Non-Blocking Throughput : 12.5Gbps
- Packet Buffer Memory: 4.1Mbit
- Packet Forwarding Rate:18.6Mpps
- Advanced Features: IEEE 802.3X Flow Control
- Transfer Method: Store and Forward
- Power Supply Description: Adapter
- Max. Power Consumption : 10W
- Input Power Type: DC
- AC Input Voltage Range: 100V~240V 50/60Hz
- Fanless : Yes
- LED Indicators
- Per Port: Speed / Activity
- Operating Temperature: 0˚C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
- Operating Humidity: < 85% No condensation
- Non-Operating Temperature: -10°C-85°C (14-176°F)
- Certification: FCC, CE, VCCI, BSMI, C-TICK
Size and Weight
- Size: 28 (H) x 140 (W) x 90 (D) mm
- Weight: 350 (g) / 0.77 (lb)
The case is secure by two screws.
The design of the PCB board is very straightforward.
The switch main processor is cooled by aluminum
Each LAN connection contain two chipsets:
- UDE L22H017-0 is a isolation and low common mode emissions interference filter
- Realtek RTL8221B is a highly integrated Ethernet PHY transceiver that is compatible with 10BASE-Te, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, and 2.5GBASE-T
The main network processor Realtek RTL8371 – “We don’t have information for this chipset”
PI6C2405A-1HWIE is a clock generator from diodes
Two 74LVC595A act like a ESD function and fully specified for partial Power-down applications using IOFF. The IOFF circuitry disables the output, preventing the damaging backflow current through the device when it is powered down.
Benchmark: Jumbo Frames
We will be using ASUS ROG RT-AX1100 – 2.5Gbe port <Connect> ASUSTOR ASW205T >ASUSTOR AS6604T – 2.5Gbe / Desktop 2.5Gbe
Our desktop will be using XPG GAMMIX S50 PCIE GEN 4 M.2 SSD
Default jumbo frames MTU: 1500
Jumbo Frames MTU: 4000
Jumbo Frames MTU: 9000
The transfer speed maintain at 2.3 – 2.5Gbps from our NAS – ASUSTOR AS6604T.
Click here to purchase ASUSTOR ASW205T at promotion price $165 from now until 30/11/2021. *While stock last.